Maple Cream Scones
These light and flaky scones are full of sweet maple flavor and topped with a cinnamon spice glaze!
- 4 1/4 c flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 16 Tbsp butter (1 cup), cold and cubed
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cream, plus more for brushing
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- pinch of cloves
- pinch of nutmeg
Cinnamon Spice Glaze
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, all spice, and nutmeg together. Add in cubed butter and with a pastry blender, fork, or your hands, work the butter into the dough until the dough resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add in maple syrup, eggs, vanilla extract and heavy cream, stirring until just combined.
- On a floured surface, turn out the dough (it's all right if the mixture is crumbly). Work the dough until it comes together, and pat into a large circle. Split the dough in half and form each into a ball.
- Pat each ball of dough into a 1" thick circle and slice each into 8 triangles (16 total).
- Place onto a baking sheet (you will need two) and brush with just a bit of heavy cream.
- Bake for 15-16 minutes, or until the scones are just turning brown.
- While the scones are cooling, make the glaze.
- Mix 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar with 3 Tbsp of heavy cream. Add in vanilla extract and all spices. Mix. If the icing is too thick, add in more heavy cream. If it's too thin, add in more powdered sugar.
- Pour the icing over the scones (I drizzled them, but you can dunk if you'd like!).
BTW I make all my "sigs" here and I share them at this LINK